NEW ORLEANS - Councilwoman Nguyen would like to make residents aware of the food pantries and meal distribution sites this week in District E.
Many of these sites would not run without volunteers. If you have not been exposed to anyone with COVID-19 in at least two weeks and are not showing any symptoms, please consider volunteering to help feed District E residents in need.
Lower Ninth Ward:
SanKofa Community Development Corporation
5200 Dauphine St, New Orleans, LA 70117
Tuesday, April 14 through Friday, April 17
Volunteers needed Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
1.) Food Pantry - in partnership with Second Harvest Food Bank.
- Food distributed are heart-healthy staple items (produce, dairy, protein, whole grains) and follows guidelines from American Heart Association.
- ID Required, option to register for food monthly.
- Pick up Tuesday - Friday 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM (Walk-up service, not a drive-thru).
2.) Daily Meals for Children - (Breakfast, Lunch, Snack, Dinner) sourced by Healthy Schools Food Collaborative
- Pickup on Wednesday through Saturday from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
- Support for the Children's meals comes from NoKidHungry.
3.) Commodity Food Boxes for Seniors Aged 60 and Older - sourced by Catholic Charities.
- Delivery to certain areas of the City, pick up at 5200 Dauphine St by appointment.
- Call 504-872-9214 to pick up an application to join the program.
4.) SNAP Registration - Call 504-872-9214 for more information.