Kristin Gisleson Palmer, Jay H. Banks
NEW ORLEANS - Today, the City Council Street Renaming Commission, an advisory committee created to initiate a public engagement process to consider renaming certain streets, parks, and public places in New Orleans that honor white supremacists, held their first meeting. The Council approved the motion authored by Councilmembers Kristin Gisleson Palmer and Jay H. Banks to establish the Commission during a regular meeting on June 18.
The Commission consists of nine appointed members by each Councilmember and Mayor LaToya Cantrell, and the City Planning Commission (CPC) appointing the remaining two members. The following individuals have been confirmed to serve on the Commission:
- Richard Westmoreland - westmorelandCCSRC@gmail.com
- Mark Raymond - raymondCCSRC@gmail.com
- Paul Sterbcow - sterbcowCCSRC@gmail.com
- Karl Connor - connorCCSRC@gmail.com
- Gia Hamilton - hamiltonCCSRC@gmail.com
- Kevin Jackson - jacksonCCSRC@gmail.com
- Galethea Baham - bahamCCSRC@gmail.com
- Bobbie Hill - hillCCSRC@gmail.com
- Kimberly Jones-Williams - joneswilliamsCCSRC@gmail.com
The Commission will serve for a full calendar year with the responsibility for making the following recommendations:
- A list of streets, parks, and places that should be renamed, accompanied by a detailed explanation.
- A proposed list of replacement names for each recommended street, park, or place, accompanied by a detailed explanation.
- A process to facilitate both educating residents and receiving public feedback on the proposed changes.
The Commission has no more than three months from its first meeting to provide an initial report with its recommendations and hold a public meeting on that report a month later. The final report incorporating public feedback will be submitted to the Council by October, and serve as the basis for district Councilmembers to begin the renaming process.
The Commission will also develop a website to gather feedback and to update the public on their research and progress along the way. Councilmember Palmer and Banks encourage citizens to email the Commission with their input and stay engaged throughout the process.
To subscribe to the City Council Street Renaming Commission, click here.
Councilmember Kristin Gisleson Palmer, District "C"