NEW ORLEANS - New Orleans City Councilmembers-at-Large Jason Williams and Helena Moreno will introduce a resolution at the next regular meeting on Thursday, June 6, 2019, condemning the State's recent passage of an anti-abortion law. Earlier this month, Louisiana State Legislators voted 79 to 23 to pass one of the most restrictive abortion bans in the country.
This legislation was signed yesterday by Democratic Governor John Bel Edwards. This ban will prevent abortion access earlier than most women know they are pregnant and outlaws the procedure even in cases of rape and incest. In a state with some of the highest levels of maternal mortality in the country, further restricting access to healthcare through this ban is dangerous and potentially deadly.
Council Vice President Jason Williams says, "Restricting abortion access for Louisiana is dangerous and unjust. This latest ban is part of a nationwide war being waged against reproductive rights. I am deeply disappointed by the decisions our state officials are making that could have long-lasting negative impacts on the health of our city and our state. I trust women and follow their lead as we all say together, Keep abortion safe and legal, stop the bans."
Council President Helena Moreno says, "This dangerous abortion ban will not prevent abortion, but it will trample on women's rights, their agency, and their health care. We do have to prevent unplanned pregnancies - through comprehensive sex education and broad access to birth control, not a heartless ban that doesn't even provide any exceptions for rape or incest."
Councilmember Jason Rogers Williams, At-Large